Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Great Granny Along Week Two...


I bound my first Great Granny quilt 
over the weekend!
I'm happy with the way it turned out...
and for those of you who are 
making this size also...
here are the measurements
 that I used for the sashing 
between the blocks 
and the outside border.

Cut 6 - 1 1/2" x 12 1/2"
 and join the blocks together 
into 3 rows of 3 each.

Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 38 1/2"
 and sew one onto each side
 of your middle row.

Now join the top row and the 
bottom row to the middle row.

Cut 5 - 3 1/2" x Width of Fabric strips
 Join them together on the diagonal.
Out of this long strip...
 Cut 2 - 3 1/2" x 38 1/2" 
and sew to each side of your quilt.
Now cut 2 - 3 1/2" x 44 1/2" 
and sew to the top and the bottom 
of your quilt for the finish!
***NOTE...especially because the edges 
of the blocks are on the bias...
 make sure that you cut the outside borders
 to the measurements that I have given you
 and pin from the center out...
making it fit and easing in where needed.

If you just sew strips onto the sides 
and then trim them off...
your borders will be ruffled and 
will not be pretty or lay flat...
making it very difficult 
for the quilting process!



If you haven't yet joined
 The Great Granny Along...


For this quilt I used a 
combination of my 
Sew Cherry fabric line...
along with my 
Millie's Closet fabric line.
I think they go together well!








I backed and also bound my quilt in this red/pink houndstooth from Millie's.
Below is a close up of a few of the
 Great Granny blocks in my quilt:)





I just get more and more excited 
every time that I see each and every
 one of your blocks on the 
YAY!!!!
...this is "sew" fun to sew along
 with all of you!


Thank you all so much for all of 
your sweetie pie comments...
 I wish that I could have
 drawn every one of your names...
but of course there can only be one winner...and the winner of my 
Millie's Closet "granny roll"
is
Congratulations to Debbie!!!


And if you would like to 
enter another "great granny" giveaway...
go over and visit Jodi!
She is giving away some great granny candy!

Until next time my friends...
have a quilty kind of day:)
xx
Lori





22 comments:

sew.darn.quilt said...

Your Great Granny looks fabulous!!
I can't wait to finish mine and see the rest of the quilts in this QAL. =)

Gill said...

I love your granny squares quilt!
Thanks for a great giveaway and congratulations to Debbie!

Lesley said...

Your granny quilt is adorable...love your choice of fabrics. Congrats to the winner!

antique quilter said...

LOVE your quilt and all the happy fabrics you used!
congrats to Debbie, lucky girl!
Kathie

trish said...

Yay for Debbie! :0)
Your great granny is soo cute.
Thank you for the instructions.
hugs. Trish

Nanna said...

congradulations to you Debbie! the quilt is fantastic! I was thinking of using my jelly roll for mine & after carefully taking the ribbon from around it to see all the colors, those strips popped out like a barrel of monkeys jumping out lol!
Helen

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

OMG!!! Thanks so much Lori!!!

I love the houndstooth as the binding! And the quilting is just too yummy!

I am having fun making my granny squares (minus one generation) and your tutorial has made them so easy!! Thanks!!!

Michelle said...

That's so cute! I've just finished my 5th block now I can't wait to see mine finished.

Michele said...

Oh my gosh! Love your blog and Pinterest boards. Thank you to UCreate for linking me to you!

Delirious said...

I've been seeing some really cool quilt bindings on pinterest. I can't remember, do you ever do different bindings on your quilts? They are so cool, but I'm sure they are labor intensive.

Carrie P. said...

Congrats to Debbie, I hope to have some more blocks finish to add to flickr. they are all so fabulous.

dream quilt create said...

Your blocks are so pretty! Thanks for the inspiration!

sandra said...

Your quilt is so pretty, I hope that I will get started on mine next week.

Libby said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial ~ I think about my grandmother to often, I wasn't fortunate to know by great grandparents, but my little Granddaughters have know all but one of their great grandparents and have been fond of them! Thanks so much again!

Kim Walus said...

Thanks for the great sew along and the instructions for finishing off the quilt. I have just two more blocks to make and then I can start putting together the quilt top. You're awesome!

Jessie Fincham said...

Your granny quilt looks fabulous Lori! I just love it. I finished mine a couple of months ago, but I still just can't get enough of them :)
Jessie, xo

janice15 said...

Your quilt is very lovely...I like all the colors that you used...Have a great new week...with love Janice

Kathie (Prairie Stitcher) said...

That's a beautiful quilt! I love your site. I'm a new follower. Please come by my place and visit and follow, too, when you have time. Granny Squares. A great idea and about time.

Deborah said...

I have my Millie's Closet now and really want to make great grannies with it but I don't want to copy yours.
I'll work hard at making them different! Love yours.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Your great granny quilt is wonderful! Love it!

Gayle said...

HI Lori - I found your sew along through Nedra's blog and have just finished up my quilt. I made the blocks 1/2 size and have had so much fun with it! Thanks!

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

I'm a little late to the party but as they say, better late than never. I decided to make just one block today and ended up with two with more planned for tomorrow. Thank you for taking the time and energy for spear heading this. I blogged about my first blocks just a few minutes ago.
http://robingallagher.blogspot.com
Thanks again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails